Use the Table below to see the important days in your girls pregnancy – see below table to get more detailed information
|IMPORTANT DAYS OF 63 DAYS OF PREGNANCY
|NOTES – please see notes written below table for more detailed information|
|1st Day start of 1st Month of Pregnancy
|1. Count Birth date of puppies from in between 1st and 2nd mating – 63 days
2. Do not increase food for Mum to Be
|3.Ultrasound or Blood test to be done|
|30th Day||4. Note all bitches show signs of pregnancy
5. If pregnant changes in behaviour
|31st Day start of 2nd Month of Pregnancy
|6. Feed Mum to Be Puppy food
|56th Day last week of Pregnancy
|7. Increase food intake for Mum to Be by 1/3 rd|
|8. Puppies could be born|
|9. Puppies could be born|
|10. Puppies could be born|
- So what most people say when a Dam is having puppies is that it is a “63” day pregnancy – this can be hard to work out with much accuracy. A rule of thumb is to take the 63 day count to start from the date between the 1st mating and 2nd mating of your girl. So a healthy pregnancy is for 2 Months – in puppy development the puppies develop their organs and limbs in the 1st Month and then the pups will use the 2nd Month to grow in size.
- In the first Month of Pregnancy you do not need / or should you increase your females food intake, just feed a good quality feed – it is vital that you do not let her increase her fat (weight ) as it will just make it so much harder and lead to more complications when she is giving birth – None of this feeding for 2 or 3 or 4 business then??
- On the 28th Day is Ultra Sound Day – You have to wait until 28 days to have a useful Ultra Sound done to see if she is 1. Pregnant and 2. How many puppies she is having because you would not see much before that – Did you know that all Bitches that have come into season think and show signs of being pregnant ? So in the first 30 days all females can have the signs of a. increased appetite, b. laid back behaviour and c. so changes in pecking order if living with other dogs …that explains a lot in our household at the moment – we have 2 females living together, who came into season at the same time, and it is like an episode of War and Peace going on – “I hate you…I love you…” Believe me it is an EPIC drama going on.
It is important to have a scan at 28 days so that you can also see how many puppies she is going to have – why? Well, if there are only a couple of puppies they have more room to grow and will become very large when she is due to give birth – if they grow too big it may be hard for her to give birth without help
If it shows up that she is having a over sized litter then the Bitch may struggle to get enough nutrition to support to produce all healthy pups – she may well need extra nutrition in the form of Calcium ( but do not give this unless advised by vet)
Other than an Ultra Sound your female could have a blood test to test for the pregnancy hormone ‘Relaxin’ – Only Pregnant Bitches would show up Relaxin – but again this can only show up in the blood from 28 days onwards – of course this will only tell you if she is pregnant and not any more info…like how many.
- So the changes you could notice in your female dog are
- a) Appetite increase
- b) A Lower tolerance in exercise – especially in the 2nd month of pregnancy
- c) She can become more aggressive to other dogs in the household
- d) Can become picky with her food
- So this is the start of the 2nd Month of pregnancy and when it comes to food it is suggested that you feed puppy food, this is due to the nutritional concentration being very high , including the all important Calcium – Phosphorus – which is found in puppy food.
- In this last week of pregnancy you can increase food intake ( puppy food ) by 1/3 rd – that is all, she will not be able to fit too much food in any way as all room will be taken up with puppies ! Little and often and think quality not quantity as being the most important thing for her.
- So prepare for the puppies to be born on any of these days – If she is carrying fewer puppies then more likely to be on days 63/64/65 – if she is carrying lots of puppies then she is likely to give birth early – day 61/62 – It is suggested by experts that to work it out – Every puppy less will add 0.25 days and Every puppy more will reduce days by 0.25
Feel free to print this out and stick it up somewhere to remind you of next steps
Good Luck, and let me know how it all goes x