How to train your dog to play ‘Give Me a Cuddle’
Learn how to train your dog to play the ‘give me a cuddle’ game and reinforce a good training habit that both you and your dog loves to do everyday !
How to train your dog to learn new skills and play games with you builds a stronger bond between owner and dog. It simulates your dog and reinforces positive engaging play and learning. The best way to train your dog is to keep the training sessions short, rewarding ( usually with treats) and done on a regular basis.
The most important thing to remember when training your dog is to never force a behaviour, feed into their natural instincts and read your dogs mood. You will always get the best results if you work with your dog and not against them.
So to the training…
I love when I get a cuddle from my two dogs and they do most of this game naturally so this game is a good one to start with
Before you start with this training why not check out the four most important training lessons you must teach your new dog or puppy – this will then lay the basics down – Four most important lessons to teach your dog
- Invite your dog to sit on your on your lap, try to get them to sit facing you , making sure that your dog is secure and that they can not fall off.
- Gently lift their dog paws and place them on your shoulders and say your command – I say ‘give me a cuddle’
- Stop this training if your dog becomes excitable as they really need to be nice a calm to do it so neither you or your dog gets hurt.
- This is a great training exercise that you could introduce hand signals
- Cross your hands over your chest and tap your shoulders, give your command and after a little while just do your hand signal.
- As your dog comes towards you praise them.
As I said this is a great training exercise to begin with and can really help bond you and your dog / puppy
Books to buy to help you train your puppy
Good luck and please let me know how your cuddle training goes ( photos are always great and I love a good dog cuddle human photo to cheer my day up!)