Instructions on how to train your dog by playing games
Instructions on how to train your dog how to tidy up their toys and how to make it into a game your dog will love to play. Follow these easy instructions to train your dog by doing only 10 minutes a day. This is part of a number of posts I write on dog training. take a look at my other games including ‘giving you a cuddle’ and ‘high five’.
Why not teach your dog to clear up their own toys, you can by making it into a fun game.
What you need
Toy Box / Toy Basket
Healthy small dog treats
Important information before you start :
The best way of teaching this game is to not to make the training sessions too long – good amount of time is to do about 5 to 10 minutes a day
Only play this game, if your dog is enjoying it and is actively engaged with the game. Don’t ever force your dog to do any action or game if it is causing them distress…now to the training
- Put the toy box in a fixed place and place the toys near to the box.
- Show your dog one of their favourite toys, such as, our French Bulldog, Dinky Daisy, loves her mini antler toy, I know she will always be willing to take it from me.
- Show this toy to your dog and encourage them to go with you to their toy box.
- Hand this favourite toy to your dog so they are holding it in their mouth
- Now is the clever bit…holding a treat in your hand, show your dog the treat and offer it to your dog so they drop the toy that is in their mouth into the toy box. As they drop the toy say the command you are going to use for this game – I say ‘tidy up’
- Practice just this a few times a day until your dog understands what you want them to do when you say your command.When your dog has understood, start introducing more toys, giving a treat on the second drop.
- Keep practicing this everyday and in no time at all your dog will on command tidy up their toys !
Enjoy this training session and I would love to hear how you get on with your dogs new-found confidence in tidying up their toys – comments and photos of how your training is going are welcomed and you never know, you may end up on the next post !
If you need a new toy box why not buy this – clicking on this link costs you no more but gives me a few pennies to keep this blog going.
Have a good day, Emily x